Established in 2010/ 2011 through Natural Bridge Communications, the Southern Cape Landowners Initiative is the confluence of local conservation entities, environmental project managers, field managers, researchers and communication experts.
The SCLI has consistently proved to be the most successful partnership and conservation constituency builder in the domain of IAP management and natural infrastructure conservation in the Southern Cape since 2010.
Example of SCLI activities
- Developing the Registered Care Taker Initiative, aimed at involving participating landowners in land stewardship
- Hosting a public participation workshop in George aimed at introducing landowners to key role players and to enhance methods in controlling IAPs.
- Facilitating a workshop in Knysna to determine where clearing in the southern Cape in taking place, who is funding it, what the challenges are etc.
- Establishing Fire Risk management working groups with the aim of determining where IAPs pose the biggest wild fire threat and how to address it
- Regular articles in local media on land owner response to IAPs, as well as establish our own web presence
- Opening channels of communication between key government stakeholders, e.g. CapeNature, DAFF, DEA, DOA, ESKOM, NMMU, SANParks, SANRAL, Transnet etc.
- Establishment of Natural Infrastructure Services (a non- profit and fully representative entity to act as implementing agent for local conservation entities and Working for Water)
- Establishing and promoting the weed- free and plant migration corridor concept
- Development of a stakeholder database
- Act as a channel to assist land owners where they need input or information
If you would like to get involved, please contact: